Monday, March 28, 2011

Chapter 7: Differentiated Instruction – Fitting the Lesson to the Learner

This chapter on differentiated instruction is a lot different than all of the other books and chapters that I have read on differentiated instruction. Right off the bat in this chapter it talks about why differentiated instruction is useful. However, Wormeli is blunt and to the point saying “teachers looking for the one right way to differentiate instruction will be disappointed. It doesn’t exist” (p 69). This can be perceived in two ways, one as a way of discourage, or as a way to use it as an opportunity to try and make their form of differentiated instruction as best as they can. I like how the book is split up between features of differentiated instruction, and characteristics of successful teachers of differentiated instruction. I liked how Wormeli says “Differentiated instruction means we match the challenge to the student, finding varied ways to help each child stretch intellectually” (p 71). This is one of the best definitions of differentiated instruction that I have heard. It really states it clearly. The list of characteristics on successful teachers of differentiated instruction I thought was very helpful. I will use this as a list for myself when I am in the classroom, because this list has some key points that are really important.

No comments:

Post a Comment